Free Ophthalmic Hospital's Society owes its inception to the enthusiasm, public spirit and charitable disposition three eminent Ophthalmologists in Mumbai - the late Dr. D. D. Sathaye, Dr. D. S. Sardesai and Dr. C. R. Athavale. With meager resources in hand, in 1914 they set on to give free medical aid to the poor and needy patients suffering from various eye diseases and also started training post graduates in Ophthalmology. The hospital was commenced of 6 beds in a small rented block at Parel, mostly populated by Mill hands and labour class.
As the work was gradually spreading Mr. M. D. Chamarbagwalla, a Philanthropist living in the locality made available the portion of chawl, with the nominal rent of Rs. 1/- per annum. Hospital found a patron and donor in Late Khan Bahadur Haji Bachooali who donated Rs. 50000/- which enabled to meet immediate and pressing needs and requirements. In recognition of his magnificent donation the hospital was named after him "Khan Bahadur Haji Bachooali Charitable Ophthalmic & ENT Hospital". The foundation stone of the hospital building was laid by "Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhiji" on Saturday, August 8th 1931.
Subsequent donations and financial help received from various philanthropic individuals, charitable trusts, municipal, public and semi public bodies, made it possible to run the Institution and to expand it to the excellence in eye care. Free Ophthalmic Hospitals Society's, Khan Bahadur Haji Bachooali Charitable Ophthalmic & ENT Hospital is one of the oldest eye hospitals in Mumbai and in Maharashtra. Hospital started its journey from 6 bedded to 110 bedded with all kinds of super specialty eye care services at very subsidized rates. Hospital is a tertiary eye care center in Mumbai. Hospital is providing accessible, affordable and comprehensive eye care services under one roof.